How to Critique an Article
How to Critique an Article
APA format article critique follows a clear structure:
Formatting Your Article Critique
- Using only negative critique. Although your main aim is to analyze the article, you should add some positive features to dilute the overall impressive from your paper;
- Our teams are available to assist in all academic writing projects. Please allow us to assist in any writing need that you require. Our customer service staff are available around the clock to assist our clients.
- After putting the article in your own words, decide which parts of the article you want to discuss in your review. You can focus on the theoretical approach, the content, the presentation or interpretation of evidence, or the style. You will always discuss the main issues of the article, but you can sometimes also focus on certain aspects. This comes in handy if you want to focus the review towards the content of a course. 
- Finally, be sure to highlight the article’s strong and weak points. After you’ve done this, summarize your main ideas comprehensively and arrange them in a way that can fit into the stipulated article format.
- Review the summary outline to eliminate unnecessary items. Erase or cross out the less important arguments or supplemental information. Your revised summary can serve as the basis for the summary you provide at the beginning of your review.
Article Critique Example
- What purpose does the author have in arguing such a thesis?
- Put yourself in the shoes of a magazine or newspaper editor. After going through the article, do you think that you would print it? Give detailed reasons as to how you came to your decision.
- Yes. However, it’s important that the articles you are going to use are connected to your study.
- Yes, it is important to reference the examples. You are using them to support the argument or your critique of the article.
- Not including the main argument. Many students forget about this important element and simply try to summarize the whole article. However, main argument is an essential part of your work and you need to include it at the beginning of your paper to make sure everyone knows what your position on the subject is.
- Excessive background information. Most of the readers already know what the article is about or who its author is, so don’t waste too much time and energy on providing boring information on the subject itself and biography or publishing details;
- The article title should be a succinct, ideally clever description of the general content. In this case, if you were writing a movie review for, say, a bad movie about a ship, you could say something like, “New Release Sinks at the Box Office.”
- There are two ways. The first is by using brackets at the end of a sentence: for exmample, Evidence shows that strategic frameworks are a necessity in successful business management (Smith & Gerald 1998). Or, you can add it in the sentence itself, for example: According to Smith & Gerald 1998 it was evident that.
- Do you think that the article is well-written? Determine the tone used to write it, be it humorous, satirical or even severe. You should also determine the article’s target audience and find out if the author gives reasons as to why readers should read his/her article.
Article Critique APAWrite a Feature Article Create a Header in MLA Format In-text citations should be made using the author-date system, which means that you only need to indicate name of the author, followed by the year of publication.Our aim is your total satisfaction.When starting off your article format, you shouldn`t write an introduction that exceeds two paragraphs and ensures, within these two paragraphs, your critique’s basic framework has been laid out vividly.
How to Critique an Article: Gathering Evidence
100% Originality Assured.After you have done this, come up with a list of the possible evidence sources that you will use in your critique.To start us off, it is important for us to ask ourselves, “What is a critique?” Article critiques can be referred to as objective types of analysis of scientific or literary pieces.This is only a sample, to get your own paper you need to:
APA Format Article Critique
HOW TO CRITIQUE AN ARTICLE
Write in MLA Format article critique writing
Journal critiques analyze a variety of topics.As the critic, take time to read carefully and thoughtfully, prepare your arguments and evidence, and write clearly and cogently.Scrutinize the overall arguments that the author relays after reading the article around three or four times and record your reactions in the text.
When you quote or paraphrase a specific passage from the journal, include the page name at the end of the sentence in parentheses.This should be a brief summary about the article and your critique.To write this in proper APA style, write the author’s last name, a comma, first and middle initials and a period.On top of this, the article critique’s author takes into consideration the reliability of the author’s sources and expounds on the manner in which the writer has organized his/her writing.A good critique demonstrates your impressions of the article, while providing ample evidence to back up your impressions.
Your main goal is to show your personal opinion, backed with evidence and arguments, so you need to be very attentive while reading the article and noting down key elements.Write a Human Interest Piece The volume number should also be in italics, but all text that follows should have plain formatting.If you want to learn how to critique an article, you should first have a clear understanding of what this assignment is about.
The APA recommends using Times New Roman in 12 point.